Katok (originally “Ketuk”): Knock.
Nasi Katok: B$1.00 meal consisting of rice, sambal and chicken. Sambal can be categorised into biasa and padas.
The reason why the name “Nasi Katok” derived from this family who lived in Ong Sum Ping who (used to?) sell these so-called nasi bungkus meal only at night time. Why Katok? Translating the word “katok”, as above, is knock. This means that people who wanted to buy this nasi katok has to knock on the door and then make their order. This Ong Sum Ping resident is the pioneers of the evergrowing Nasi Katok outlets in Brunei.
Nasi Katok has gain its popularity over these past months. Until today, you can find at least one Nasi Katok outlet in every area. A few of those who are successful in this business managed to open up another branch elsewhere. I am quite amazed by their hardwork in filling up the tummies of Bruneians (and foreigners).
The booming business:
I hereby list down the names of these outlets that I have come across. Some of them are contributions from other sources:
- Nasi Katok Mama – Lambak & Kiulap
- Nasi Katok Kaka – Batu Besurat
- Nasi Katok 3 Rasa – Perpindahan Berakas
- Nasi Katok MSN – Somewhere in Lumapas area
- Nasi Katok Ayam Big – Perpindahan Berakas & Pasar Malam Gadong
- Nasi Katok Bell – Lambak Kanan
- Nasi Katok 25 Jam
- Nasi Katok “Inda Menyasal Membali”
- Nasi Katok Just Do It
- Nasi Katok Traffic Light
- Nasi Katok JJ
- Nasi Katok Extra – Serusop
- Nasi Katok Mimi – Pasar Malam Gadong
- Nasi Katok Tindulang – Pasar Malam Gadong
- Nasi Katok Sri Bunda – Pasar Malam Gadong
- Nasi Katok Legend – Jalan Muara
- Nasi Katok Selasih – Pasar Malam Gadong
- Nasi Katok Gifted – Jalan Muara
- Nasi Katok Seri Mama – Muara
- Nasi Katok Amalina – Jalan Muara
- Nasi Katok SMS – Jalan Muara
- Nasi Lemak Kawin – Kg. Lambak
- Nasi Lemak Bujang – Kg. Lambak
- Nasi Katok M5 – Kg Penanjong
- Nasi Katok T10 – Jalan Muara
- Nasi Sepurna – Kg Salar
- Nasi Katok Sweet & Hunny – Jalan Muara
- Nasi Katok Nabil’s – Batu Besurat
- Nasi Katok Nana – Jalan Muara
- Nasi Katok Munisa – Jalan Muara
- Nasi Katok Xtreme
Please feel free to contribute the outlets that are not listed here.
I hope the locals will continue to be more creative in creating the names of their respective Nasi Katok because it amazes me more than ever!